Wednesday, February 11, 2009

From a good book~

Dietrick Bonhoeffer is quoted:
in the book "Momentary Marriage" by John Piper
"The woman must bear her children in pain, and in  providing for his family the man must reap many thorns and thistles, and labor in the sweat of his brow. This burden should cause both man and wife to call on God, and should remind them of their eternal destiny in HIS kingdom. Earthly society is only the beginning of the heavenly society, the earthly home an image of the heavenly home, the earthly family a symbol of the fatherhood of God."

I can so much relate to this quote right now. I'm carrying a child, and will soon know the experience again of pain in childbirth.  And my dear husband labors every day, providing for our family. And both of these things are causing us to call upon God. 

Also, Dietrick Bonhoeffer said:
"Live together in the forgiveness of your sins, for without it no human fellowship, least of all a marriage, can survive."

Sadly, marriages are falling apart all around me. Some dear friends are fighting & struggling for their marriage. Some others I know seem to be giving up. Another, I wonder if it will "break" tomorrow. It breaks my heart to see those I know or who are/were close to me in such pain. The above quote was just a reminder today as I read it to LIVE in forgiveness. That each spouse must do that in order for a marriage to survive. And offering true forgiveness takes a relationship with Christ, one that is daily cultivated. 

Just thought I'd share~

1 comment:

jo said...

I loved this thought Abby. I think I will write this phrase in our kitchen. God used it to teach me today. Thanks.