Thursday, July 09, 2009

Not always what I have planned.....

.....is what God has planned. 

The past few months with our new precious addition has been such a JOY. Many days I am SO tired, but it's all worth it I know. 

IMG_5304 

I intended to do some school with the kids this summer, but my days have been spent nursing, cleaning, doing laundry, and disciplining. And maybe a few other things in there if I have time.Oh, I guess I do feed my family too.  We've been trying to stay cool, as my itching has returned with this intense heat wave we've had here. 

AND I'm making memories with my kids. School didn't make it in the plans. Book-work anyway. We've had many great times of learning though. About REAL LIFE.

And I've tried to make it a point to enjoy every moment with Ashlyn when I can. She's practically a perfect baby, who rarely cries, so she'd be easy to just let lay there, or sit in her bouncy seat, and really be fine. But I'd miss so many moments with her. With my last few as babies I just worked so hard to get everything ELSE done around here, and didn't take still moments to just BE with them & hold them. So, I've done that more with Ashlyn and let school with the others not happen. We are so smitten with her.

IMG_5311  
IMG_5316 
 
I am realizing a new school year for us is about a month away, as we will start back up the 2nd week of August (hopefully!), since we will be participating in VBS just before that. Honestly though,  I am not looking forward to it. To the planning & teaching part, I mean. I am SO glad about having my kids home and I do WANT to want to teach them, so I'm praying for some feelings to change over the next few weeks before we start up again.  I don't have a strong feeling about what curriculum & books to use for them in the coming year. With one of them struggling with dyslexia, and another having other speech/learning issues, I know I have a challenging road ahead of me. I want to choose things that hopefully will help them want to learn & enjoy learning.  I know I will need to focus on the basics once again with my 8 & 6 year old boys and I'm asking God for direction & creativity.....and patience & understanding too.

I've been blessed to know lots of teachers. I have 7 aunts & uncles who are presently teaching in the school system or are college professors. My grandparents also used to teach for a living. My parents too, before they home schooled their own kids. My mother-in-law is currently a 3rd grade teacher. Sometimes I wish I could hand-off my students to some of them!!! :-) But I know God is going to use this in my life and although I'm not the "teacher type" I am my kid's mom who knows them best & desires to see them excel, learn, & grow amidst our environment at home. God has called me to do this yet another year. I trust HIM. I know His plans will far exceed what I could ask for or think. Now to take the plunge once again!

I think just writing this all out is "therapy" for me or something. 

Any other homeschool moms out there have wisdom to share? Or should I just not think about it yet, and keep enjoying my summer?!?!?!

IMG_5302 

2 comments:

SevenPilgrims said...

Oh, Abby! These are very difficult years. You are in the midst of them as well as I am. The Lord has promised to be our wisdom and our strength and to not withhold any good thing from us (and I believe that applies to our children as well). My prayer often is that the Lord would accomplish what concerns me and would bless the work of my hands. Our job is to keep our eyes focused on Him and on the strength He provides for what He has called us to, and then to trust Him to accomplish His will through our imperfect efforts. We are weak, but He is oh so strong! Look to the hills, dear sister and rest in His timely provision. (Sounds as if you are fighting the fight of faith well. Just wanted to send along extra re-enforcements!) Love, Jan

jo said...

Is it that time again? I'm right there with you sister. In denial, I'm afraid. I'll be praying for you for added grace and creativity. And longer summer days.