Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Waiting~Psalm 27:14

My once a month "wordy" post ahead. :-)  

"Wait for the Lord; Be strong, and let your heart take courage; Yes, wait for the Lord."  

On Sunday, the Lord provided new insights into this Scripture, and chapter in Psalms that I have read many times.  
WAIT.... 
What does it really mean to wait on the Lord? 
Does it mean to sit around, doing nothing? 
Does it mean to stop asking and JUST wait?  

The word WAIT in this chapter is talking about how a servant waits on his master. We are God's servant, HE is our Master. And we should wait on Him doing everything we know that He desires, and that is pleasing to Him. Serving Him, being right there with Him in His presence always. Gladly and willingly DOING all that He asks. That is waiting....it's actually doing, it's serving, it's being there, it's going about as HE desires fulfilling His will as He directs. As we WAIT on Him, He won't disappoint.  
If you go back to verse 7-9 in Psalm 27 it says: "Hear, O Lord, when I cry with my voice, And be gracious to me and answer me. When Thou didst say "Seek my face, " my heart said to Thee, "Thy face, O Lord, I shall seek. " Do not hide Thy face from me, Do not turn Thy servant away in anger; Thou has been my help, Do not abandon me nor forsake me, O God of my salvation! 

There it even says that we are His servant. And HE is the God of our salvation! What a promise that because of that He will not leave us or forsake us. As we seek HIM, serve Him, HIS WILL will be done!  
You hear of people "waiting" on God to bring them a spouse, or waiting on God to show them His direction for their life. Or a couple waiting on God to give them children. Or a family waiting on Him to provide finances or a job. Or someone waiting on Him to heal sickness or physical pain. Or waiting on Him to sell a house. Waiting on God to see fruits in the children we are training. Or waiting on Him to heal a relationship. And on and on it goes the things we "wait" on God for. But are we ACTIVELY waiting? I think people get discouraged and despair (verse 13) when they think waiting is doing nothing. They stop asking & seeking, they begin to feel that all life is against them. And they feel no direction. I have known many young people who decide the "waiting on God" then isn't for them. It's taking too long. There's no hope.  

Many times I've questioned God. (But are we really to question our Master?) "God, I'm waiting on you to make me well, to give me full strength, to take this itching away from me forever????" And yet, I would get so discouraged if I didn't keep seeking and being there in His presence serving Him in the day in and day out tasks. And see that really He is working, He is giving me what I need as I GIVE to Him myself. As I serve Him. 
That's waiting....giving of ourselves. 
It's honoring and devoting ourselves to our Master. 
That is DOING.  

It's FOCUSING on God.  
FELLOWSHIPPING with God.  
And FOLLOWING God.  

All action. But all waiting.  

What are you waiting on God for today? And what are you DOING? Yes, I know the two don't seem to go together, but really they go hand in hand. 

Waiting requires patience, it requires strength and determination. It requires trust. Real waiting requires a relationship with THE MASTER.  

(Ok, I think I've made my point to myself repetitively now!) Thanks for reading.

No comments: