Monday, May 12, 2008

Happy Mother's Day (even though it's already the next day!)



I'm VERY grateful.....

.....to my mom who has raised me and loved me and supported me and cared for me. And taught me, trained me, disciplined me, enjoyed me, discipled me and always put up with me. If I wasn't a mom and didn't have to get up quite so early in the morning, I'd stay up and write a long, wonderful post about you, mom.  But duty calls, therefore sleep calls, and as you know we have to take it when we can get it, right? You're the best mom and I can't imagine life without you!

.....to my mother-in-law, the wonderful mother of my husband. He wouldn't be who he is today (that I love so much!) without you. THANK YOU for doing all you did as I am so very blessed! And not to mention you are definitely the best MIL I could ask for!

Both of these women are truly wonderful grandmothers too. My kids know they are truly loved and always prayed for. 
THANK YOU!!!!!!

.....to my grandmothers who have been examples to me in many areas. Thank you for your dedication and love to your husbands, children, and grandchildren and to the Lord. Thank you for your prayers. I wish I could spend more time with each of you. You are dearly loved and appreciated. 

.....to my sister, the most wonderful mother of 6 that I know!!!!! Being moms together and enjoying & watching each other be moms has been such a blessing. Between us there is NO comparison as moms. We love and appreciate the other in their gifts and abilities and personalities. Being in this stage together, crying together, praying together, laughing together, just being together and watching 10 kids together I wouldn't trade it for the world. 

.....to my sister in law, Holly, who is the most wonderful mom to my two nieces. And she has a great heritage in a mother & grandmother too who I know have blessed her tremendously. I love that we have "twin cousins" with our two 3 year olds and how fun it is to watch them grow up together! My SIL loves her girlies so much and they know it. 

.....to my sister in law, Stephanie, who joins me in raising one girl & 3 boys! Except she's on the other side of the world! And I have an admiration for all she does for her family where she lives. I am sure if we lived near each other we'd have a ton of fun as moms!!! And I can't wait to see her in just a few weeks!

.....to the older moms in my life who are ahead of me. Specifically Dianne, Gerrie, & three Julie's come to mind. And I know there are others too. 
Thanks for all the spiritual & practical insights each of you has given me, whether you knew it or not!

.....to the many aunts & cousins I have who are such great moms. I wish I lived nearer to many of them. But watching them from a distance I see that they love being where God has placed them in motherhood. 

.....to my girl-friends who are such great moms. Some of you are moms of many, some of you moms of one, some of you moms of boys, some of you laid back moms, some of you organized & detailed moms. I have so much to learn from you and thank you to those who have invested in my life and encouraged me as a mom. 

.....and to you moms I know who are doing it "alone" you have my admiration, thoughts, & prayers. Remember you are not alone in your job as a mother, and the love of Your Heavenly Father is always right there. Cling to the HOPE You have in HIM. Which is what we all should be doing anyway.....

Happy Mother's Day (even though it's already the next day~)

Quotes about moms:

A mother's love grows by giving. ~Charles Lamb
(just keep on giving!!!!!)

A man's work is from sun to sun, but a mother's work is never done. ~Author Unknown
(ain't that the truth?!?!?)

So much of what we know of love we learn at home. ~ Author Unknown
(I know that was true for me and I hope my kids feel the same way one day)

A mother is she who can take the place of all others but whose place no one else can take. ~Cardinal Mermillod
(or so I'm told by the man in my life)

There never was a child so lovely but his mother was glad to get him asleep. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
(AMEN!)

The most important thing a father can do for his children is to love their mother. ~Theodore Hesburgh
(and another AMEN! I had a dad who did this and am grateful my husband does too!)

"Small Blessings"

Dear Lord, it's such a hectic day
With little time to stop and pray
For life's been anything but calm
Since You called on me to be a mom
Running errands, matching socks
Building dreams with building blocks
Cooking, cleaning, and finding shoes
And other stuff that children lose
Gitting lids on bottled bugs
Wiping tears and giving hugs
A stack of last week's mail to read
So where's the quiet time I need?
Yet when I steal a minute, Lord
Just at the sink or ironing board
To ask the blessings of Your grace
I seen then, in my small one's face
That you have blessed me
All the while
And I stop to kiss
That precious smile

~author unknown

2 comments:

jo said...

Sweet Girl:
I love this post. I smiled and smiled reading through your memories and thanks to the special women in your life. Thanks for sharing with all of us. Love the quotes.

Mishel said...

Stopping by to say hi! : )